About Ramalinga Reddy
Ramalinga Reddy has been the pillar of Karnataka politics and has contributed to the state’s progress for over 40 years. He has dedicated most part of his life for the service of the people of Karnataka. He is an accessible, simple, humble, trusted, accountable and experienced leader.
He is available at his home office at Lakkasandra every day from 8:00 am where he listens to the problems of the people patiently and ensures that their problems are solved as soon as possible. He has always supported cultural programmes and festival celebrations in his constituency.
His hard work, dedication, discipline and enthusiasm to serve the people of Karnataka have ensured his victory in six assembly elections consecutively since 1989, a record very few politicians have achieved in India. He has held vital cabinet portfolios in the past such as Transport, Bengaluru development, Education, and Food & Civil supplies. He is currently the Home minister for the state of Karnataka. He has brought in transformation and major improvements in the departments he has handled, where by improving the quality of life of citizens.
- In line with his simplicity, as Home Minister of Karnataka, he refused VIP treatment, additional police security and has ensured that no traffic restrictions are put to prevent any discomfort to the people and avoid traffic congestion. He has also refused Government Bungalow and service staff, and still resides in his ancestral home in Lakkasandra
- Elected consecutively for 6 terms as MLA, 4 times from Jayanagar constituency during 1989, 1994, 1999 & 2004 and 2 times from BTM layout constituency during 2008 & 2013. Won the 2013 MLA elections with a solid majority of over 49000 votes
- Served as cabinet minister of Transport under the leadership of Chief Minister Sri Siddaramaiah in 2013. He increased the frequency of buses as per passenger demand. He played a vital role in converting BMTC into a modern and yet passenger oriented organization. He has given emphasis on improving the infrastructure at Bus stations and bus stops across the state, including rural areas. In Bengaluru, he has converted bus stops into modern facilities containing modern washrooms, shopping, restaurants and parking facilities, which everyone is delighted to use.
- Served as cabinet minister of Primary and Secondary Education during Sri N. Dharam Singh’s Government during 2004-06. He conducted several programs for distribution of school uniforms and textbooks and extended mid-day meals up to 7th standard children. He sanctioned new Primary & Secondary Schools and P.U Colleges to correct regional imbalances, especially in places where children and students were deprived of education. He also appointed 15,667 teachers during his term to overcome the scarcity of teachers, constructed about 20,000 classrooms, 200 libraries and 600 reading room facilities
- Served as cabinet minister of Food & Civil Supplies and Bengaluru City development during 2002-04. He facilitated extensive distributed ration cards to those below poverty line. It was a major landmark and helped the most deserving people receive food grains and other items at subsidized cost
- Served as cabinet minister in Sri. Veerappa Moily’s Government during 1992-94 holding the portfolio of Finance, Major & Medium Scale Industries and APMC. During his tenure, he supported private investment in industries and modernized APMC yards
- He was quite active in college and was elected president of Students Union of Bangalore University and Law College. Inspired by the poverty upliftment programs of Late Smt. Indira Gandhi and Late Sri. Devaraj Urs, He was elected as Corporator to the Bangalore Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) in 1983.
He has transformed BTM constituency completely in the past 10 years through a long list of development activities
Roads & Traffic Decongestion
- Traffic decongestion through sanctioning of multiple new flyovers and underpasses such as Ejipura junction to Kendriya Sadan flyover, Jayadeva junction to Silk board integrated traffic and metro flyover, Connection from Adugodi junction to Madiwala underpass and many other mega projects.
- Development and maintenance of roads in all wards. Construction of non-motorable footpaths for pedestrian convenience
- Major existing roads are being converted to concrete (White-topping) to ensure they remain pothole-free and easily motorable to all vehicles
- Development of BMTC bus stands in the constituency to promote public transportation
- Built first of its kind Bio-Methanisation plant in India which converts organic waste such as fallen leaves and branches into pellets, which can be used for creating clean bio-energy
- Developed various parks spread across BTM layout such as Kuvempu park, Koramangala 3rd block park, Wipro park, Judge park, Mestripalya Park and Bhavi park to increase the green cover and to create a serene environment for all age groups in the heart of the city
- Installation of LED lights, children play equipment, outdoor gym and fitness equipment for all age groups at public parks and play grounds
- Construction & maintenance of public toilets, storm water drains, and upgradation of old sanitary pipelines in all wards
- Sanctioned BWSSB Sewage Pumping Station from NGV Housing Complex to Chalagatta Sewage Treatment Plan Unit
- Sanctioned construction of parallel storm water drains by laying RCC pipes all along the Koramangala 80 feet road
- Grants given to under privileged people for construction of homes under BBMP ‘ontimane’ scheme
- Sanctioned development and restoration of Madiwala market
- Construction and remodeling of various government buildings and BBMP properties in the constituency such as libraries, health care & dialysis centers, Anganwadi buildings, training centres, Samudhaya Bhavan and ward office buildings
- Constructed Reverse Osmosis filter plants in all 8 wards where citizens can get 20 litres of clean drinking water for Rs. 5
- Restoration of several lakes such as Madiwala lake, Agara lake and Mestripalya lake
- Construction of rain water harvesting units in various wards
- New Police Station opened at Suddaguntepalya
- Installation of CCTV system in strategic locations for women and public safety
- Construction of Maternity hospital and dialysis center at Madiwala
- Implemented Indira Canteen in all 8 wards and one mobile canteen
- New ration cards issued to more than 4000 underprivileged families to give them access to government subsidized food products